Thursday, November 15, 2012

What I want to instill in my child

Theme Thursday!  I'm a bit late writing publishing this and it's my first one.  I tried to think of this in a funny way.  Mostly I was like eh, I could get sappy and I prefer not to do that.  Or I could be ridic and talk about Star Wars!!!! Maybe I will do both.

The main thing I want to instill in my little Moe (7 months old) is that I want her to love herself.  Simple enough, right?  But not so much.  I want her to love the true part of herself that we know and love in a way that I have never even considered loving myself.  Even liking myself has been a bit of a journey - helped along by lots of abuse neglect loving hands and supportive others.  I mean I've done a lot to guarantee that Moe will have a much better home life and background that I had but I still know plenty of people from pretty awesome families who struggle with the self loathing monster. 

I know part of this struggle is about being a woman in America.  Or in the world.  We are supposed to be super heroes with perfect bodies that never age and somehow always want crazy sex whilst being perfect mommies.  If we opt out of any of those parts by being simply human, simply aging, simply exhausted, or gasp - lesbian *not choosing a man at ALL* - then we somehow fail at womaning.  I want Moe to feel like no matter where her life takes her, that she is 100% perfect and loveable, just the way she is.  I don't mean MYBABYISPERFECT&SHITSOUTPUPPIESANDRAINBOWS!!!.  I mean that she is a human being, worthy of being loved and supported and that her opinions count.  That she is entitled to control what happens to her body and her rights.  That she is beautiful.  That she is valuable.  I want her to smile at herself in the mirror the way she does now when she is 100 years old.  With true self loving and wonder.  *deadhorsedeadhorsedeadhorse* blahblahblah.  This all sounded much better in my head and last night when I told a colleague.

Here's what I said to said collegue.  I've decided that from here on out, I have to be true to myself.  I have to live my life FOR ME and not to impress someone else or to make someone else happy.  And the main reason I feel that was is I realized I can't teach my daughter all that stuff up there if I don't do it for myself. 

And now...the bucket list for my Moe
*Make her love STAR WARS!!! (IV-VI only - obvi!)
*Keep dancing til we drop
*Have wine & cheese
*Bond over shoes
*Laugh til it hurts and then laugh more
*Love Maine
*Teach her and learn with her
*Watch her fall in love someday
*Profit

This post is a part of Theme Thursday, a multi-blog collaboration. This week's theme is: "If you could impress one lesson, ideal, or moral on your children, what would it be?" To read everyone else's posts, or contribute your own please go to:

http://www.somethingclever2point0.com/p/theme-thursday.html

6 comments:

  1. It is ALL about the Star Wars. Oh and love. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made my eyes wet. A good wet. I'm pretty sure Moe's going to be a very well balanced woman one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, well said, and a wonderful to teach Moe. And Star Wars. I like you already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Theme Thursday. Yes. Loving yourself is supremely important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great post! LOVE LOVE LOVE this: " If we opt out of any of those parts by being simply human, ... then we somehow fail at womaning."

    I love the concept of "womaning" and I will be looking for ways to use that in the future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "with true self loving and wonde" here, here. I love it!

    ReplyDelete