Sunday, December 2, 2012

Late Late Late: Moe's Babyfood Rating Scale

This post is part of Theme Thursday, a time when a bunch of other cool bloggers and occasionally ME write about a shared topic.  Click the link to the right to see more people's confessions of things they've had in their mouth since becoming a parent. 

I have to give credit to Jenn for the suggestion when we were discussing this week's TT topic.  And I totally meant to get this done but it didn't happen.  I still wanted to write it.  Do I TT it?  Hmmm

Also, another credit - Moe's buddy Ari came up with this rating scale

So...weird-things-I've-had-in-my-mouth-since-having-a-child:

The first weird thing, like really really hardly mentionable at all werid.  It's still werid to ME but as we parents all know, the moment of birth is f'n as weird as it gets!  So when Moe was born and they put her on my chest I was kinda reeling from the shock of acutally having just had a baby.  And she was all ooey gooey with g-dknowswhat and I kissed the top of her head.  It seems like the right thing to do.  I was too shakey and weak to pick her up plus she was still attached to me and I really didn't know if I was allowed to reposition her.  I wanted to see her face and tell her hello but couldn't.  So I kissed her and got that um, well, never mind...

Baby Food!  I swore I'd never taste it (or feed it to my kid) but then it happened.  The first experiences with real food were tough for Moe and she wanted nothing to do with it.  So I tasted the food to make sure it wasn't some nasty poison flavor and I just didn't know it. 

Rice Cereal mixed with 30cal Nutramigen fortified Breast Milk -
Moe said it was TOTAL DIAPERS!  I thought it tasted like room temp bland cereal (1 Binkie).  Mr. Database was horrified that I tasted it at all. 

Peaches
5 Binkies all around!  Babyfood peaches are like-woah delicious!  No wonder my alien dorm-mate ate them all the time. 

Applesauce (homemade)
Moe's & Mom's agree - 5 Binkies!
Applesauce (babyfood)
Moe gave it 3 Binkies.  I thought it was like really really watered down made with Red "Delicious" apples or something.  It was sterile.  Mom says DIAPERS!

Pears
Mom says it's 3 Binkies.  Not bad and just like real pears, the grit is somehow appealing.  Moe says the grit is just too weird.  2 Binkies.

Peas
DIAPERSDIAPERSPUKEDIAPERS  It was that bad.  I gave it to Moe.  She puked like that chic in the Exorcist.  I tasted the peas in the jar.  I think I'm really permenently scarred for life.  Metallic and awful.  Like canned peas. 

Peach, Apple, Oatmeal
Yes Please!  5 Binkies!

Kiwi, Spinach, Pear
Ok, so I said I wouldn't give foods that I would never eat in such a combo.  Not even sure how this one made the cut.  Moe said it was 4 Binkies.  I thought it was 3.5.  I would eat it except I know what it is and that kinda grosses me out.  Poor Moe.  She has no idea so she pretty much loved it.

Pumpkin, Apple, Cranberry
4 binkies from Moe.  I gave it 1 Binkie.  It wasn't terrible to me but was just weird.  Think pureed, cold, Campbell's vegetable soup.  Something along those lines.

Pear, Carrot, Apricot
3 Binkies from both of us.  She ate it without trouble.  No particular joy either.  It was strangely tasty but once again, I think it's a very odd combo. 

Banana
5 Binkies from Moe.  Like seriously, could not get enough.  So good you can rub it in your hair.  This is the only one I didn't even taste.  I love bananas IRL but the smell of the jar stuff is nasty.  I think it smells like a dumpster behind a deli on a hot summer day. 

Orange Banana
Orange you glad you tried it?  I thought it just tasted like the regular banana.  That I never tasted.  Now I'm confused.  Anyway, Moe gave it 1 Binkie.  In that she didn't puke but she really ate nothing on the occasions we offered this one. 

Since we are in the thick of it, this babyfood thing is far from over.  I am beyond proud to say that even though our start to Baby-Led Weaning got bonkers derailed, Moe is making strides toward eating real food like a real human because she is in fact, really human.
Real foods she has eaten include cucumbers, carrots (cooked & raw), avocado, clementines, spaghetti noodles, chicken, steak tips, turkey, broccoli rabe, and her latest fav - asparagus.  She's had other stuff but I forget what. 

So dear readers, I know the burning question is -what's next???  Yet to be tried before we maybe get done with mush are:
Kale, Apple, Mango
Sweet Potato & White Beans
Pear, Apricot, Barley,
Sweet Potato, Corn, & Apple,
Apple, Cinnamon Oatmeal,
Strawberry, Banana
Banana & Blueberries

Each pouch or jar is 2-3 meals for her so it will be a bit longer before I have to decide what I will put in my mouth next. 

2 comments:

  1. "So good you can rub it in your hair." I love it. The boy almost puked when I gave him peas, too. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided that I will not give her any more babyfood veggies. We did try carrots which I forgot to mention and she loved them. But from here on, we just give her real veggies that are seasoned the way we like them. Peas...we will get to that next time I eat them.

      Delete